Diabetes is a condition where the pancreas does not produce enough insulin (a hormone that helps to let blood sugar into our cells for energy) or the cells in the body stop responding to insulin leading to elevated blood sugar (glucose) levels. Although type two diabetes has a correlation to genetics and family history, it is well recognized as a lifestyle disease.
As a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE), Ali will work with you to uncover contributing lifestyle factors with a thorough initial consultation, while providing comprehensive education and realistic achievable treatment plan.
Micronutrient Panel to identity vitamin and mineral deficiencies often brought on excess insulin and/or medications.
Hemoglobin A1c( HgbA1c) Test Beyond fasting blood sugar levels and glucose tolerance tests, this test is a 3 month percent average of your blood sugar levels which gives us a full picture of where your numbers have been over a period of time rather than a glimpse at a specific moment.
- Individualized Consultation
- Medical Assessment with Comprehensive Lifestyle Intakex
- Coordination of care with specialists, primary care physician, and medical team
- Food-as-medicine education about:
- Mechanisms of diabetes
- Carbohydrate counting and ways to manage intake
- Carbohydrate control, glycemic index, best sweeteners
- Ways to curb sugar cravings
- Foods that lead to increased risk and spike blood sugar levels
- Foods that decrease risk
- Lifestyle changes to support wellness outcomes
- Customized Meal Plan emphasizing eating behaviors and food selection to balance blood sugar levels
- Pair carbohydrates with a protein or healthy fats: combining a protein or healthy fat with a carbohydrate decreases the impact on our blood sugar levels and holds over our appetite!
- Encourage healthy lifestyle changes through ongoing motivational support
- Nutritional supplement recommendations: assess those currently taking, prescribe pharmaceutical-grade options to help balance system to promote wellness and decrease
- Weight loss of 7-10% if overweight: this is about 15-20 pounds for someone that is 200 pounds, this will help to increase the action of insulin!
These are a great way to curb your cravings while holding over your hunger with a healthy fat. The raw dark cocoa is a rich antioxidant that can improve blood sugar control and boost metabolism! These almonds have a minimal amount of carbohydrate in them from the agave nectar so they serve as a balanced food with a desired carbohydrate to protein ratio.
- 4 cups Raw Organic Almonds
- 1 Large Egg White
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place almonds in large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk egg white and fold in remaining ingredients. Pour chocolate mixture over almonds and stir until coated. Spread on baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
“Glucophage (Metformin) a commonly prescribed diabetic drug negatively impacts our mitochondrial (energy) and digestive function causing fatigue, bloating, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, blood sugar crashes, and weakness! At Naturally Nourished, we provide a therapeutic diet and lifestyle plan that regulates blood sugar levels while improving energy levels, digestion, and optimal function of the body.”
DID YOU KNOW?
Typical diagnosis occurs 7-10 years after the onset of disease once deadly complications have had significant time to develop. It is ideal to begin a prevention plan prior to the development of disease or symptoms. It is especially important to make an appointment with a certified diabetes educator (CDE) for a screening ASAP if you are having any of the symptoms.
Recurring yeast infections/thrush
Overweight (BMI greater than 25)
over the age of 45
people who have family history of diabetes